Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: 604b RECONE

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Hostboard Member vyju's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2005
    Posts
    56
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    604b RECONE

    Hi,


    I am being offered a pair of Altec 604B drivers(approx.$150 for the pair,no crossovers).

    However the speakers have been reconed with some generic cone with the accordian type surround of the later 604 models.The surround has been glued to the frame and the original clamping ring is missing.

    If I buy these speakers and get them rebuilt at GPA with the newer cones of the 604G will I need the clamping ring?Will the performance of the speaker be compromised because the ring is missing?

    Is it worth picking up the drivers or should I just let them go?

    Regards
    Rajiv

  2. #2
    Inactive Member notloudenough's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2008
    Posts
    59
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 604b RECONE

    The performance will not be compromised. And for that price they're a steal Go get them.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2004
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 604b RECONE

    I don?t know if you need the clamp ring or not but I would take those speakers in a heartbeat. 604b frames work well with 604E cones. If you need rings I would fabricate my own before I sent them to Bill. A 1-1/2? wide ring of 1/4? aluminum or brass could be drilled for face mounting the speakers. Polish up the rings and you would end up with a nice looking set of drivers that could easily be mounted flush with the front face of the cabinet. Not so collectable but they would blow the doors off of any current production coax for much less money invested.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.